Excerpt (below) from a superb article by Joanne Richard for the Winnepeg Sun.
“Red flags of an abusive relationship”:
- My partner tells me s/he needs to know where I am at all times.
- When my family or other friends want to spend time with me, my partner tells me they are too controlling.
- My partner asked me to quit my clubs and hobbies to spend more time with him/her.
- My partner tells me I’m ugly, and that I’m lucky to have him/her.
- My partner screams at me when s/he gets upset, but later apologizes.
- My partner hits me when s/he is angry.
- My partner tells me if I don’t have sex with him/her, s/he will spread rumours about me.
- When my partner and I got in an argument, s/he sent private pictures and text messages of mine all over the school.
- My partner threatens to kill him/herself if I leave him/her.